Pointers for Getting Your House Ready for Winter
- Monday, 12 February 2018 12:21
The end of fall is a busy period for homeowners – it is the time of the year when you need to prepare your house for the winter. Here are the most important tasks do take care of around the house if you want to prevent having to deal with damage and functional issues when it is freezing outside:
- Clean the gutters – clogged gutters are among the most common causes for water damage and ice build-ups inside the pipes can damage your gutters beyond repair, so just go on a ladder and remove whatever debris has accumulated in the gutters. You can prevent further clogging if you have a friendly Fort Smith roofing contractor install affordable and efficient leaf guards on top of the pipes.
- Remove water from appliances outside – ice can seriously damage faucets, hoses and sprinklers as well, so make sure you drain them before freezing weather settles in.
- Prevent heat loss – check your walls, windows and doors for holes and cracks and seal them or apply adequate caulking in the problem areas to prevent heat loss.
- Get the heating checked and fixed – get a professional to inspect and test your heating system, your boiler and furnace to make sure it is perfectly functional and get the chimneys cleaned as well.