Steps to Take When Your Roof Suffers Storm Damage
- Monday, 19 November 2018 09:41
Storm damage is dreaded by all homeowners, especially by those who live in areas frequently devastated by extreme storms. When the inevitable happens, most homeowners experience a state of shock and don’t know what to do next, that’s why we have assembled a short guide with the steps that should be followed in the case of storm damage sustained by your roof:
- Get a professional at https://www.richardsonroofing.com who handles roofing emergencies – it may not be easy to find one right after the storm (it is a very busy period for good roofers), but try to get an expert to come and inspect your roof and to document the damage professionally, in a way that meets the requirements of your insurer as well;
- Salvage as much as can be salvaged – ask your roofer to take the necessary measures to mitigate the damage. If a large part of the roof has been torn off, your roofer will cover it in foil to prevent further roof damage in case there is another storm soon and your roofer will also help you evacuate your home in safety if that I necessary;
- Contact your insurance company and report the damage as soon as you can – most insurers have special phone numbers or online forms where you can do that;
- Get a detailed repair estimate and then hire the roofer to take care of the repairs – try to find out about the procedure required by your insurer and make sure to follow it to maximise your chances of obtaining the compensation that you file for.